Phonics In The Woods
Here at ADO Mini Explorers preschool, we teach children using the Letters and Sounds Phonics Framework. The Mini Explorers will take part in Phase One Phonics. Any Mini Explorers with a particular aptitude for phonics will be encouraged to take part in these activities with the possibility of the addition of Phase Two.
Please be aware that Phase One is not a stage to move through, it is a foundation to learning to read and write. This framework offers a wide variety of games and activities to encourage children to listen and distinguish sounds. Our preschool offers children the chance to;
- Go on listening walks in natural settings
- Make woodland music wherever we go, allowing children to discover previously unheard sounds and distinguish between small differences in sounds
- Sing well-loved songs and nursery rhymes at Basecamp and around the campfire
- Discuss and ask questions about new discoveries
- Play phonics games, such as Rhyming Silly Soup and Cross the River
- Use all of their senses on a daily basis
- Take part in small group activities with a high adult ratio
- Go on name and word hunts around the setting
Adults blend and segment sounds throughout the day, exposing the children to the way letters and words sound in preparation for year Reception. The children can practice listening quietly as well as testing how loudly they can shout and are encouraged to do so by the adults in the setting.