Preschool Clothing - What To Wear
Mini Explorers is an outdoor preschool and we will go outside in all weathers! With the great British weather, who knows whether it will rain or shine! Appropriate clothing will mean your child gets the maximum enjoyment whatever the weather. We encourage all our children to get stuck in and more mud means more fun!
However we understand that this will also mean more washing and damp clothes means less enjoyment! We therefore have extremely durable waterproof dungaree suits and coats which we require you to either hire or purchase from us. Your Mini Explorer can then arrive at preschool in their outdoor suit, ready for all weathers and can get straight in to exploring the garden and playing!
The Mini Explorers are required to wear our lovely uniform, which we are very proud of! We have redesigned our badge for the school uniform. Its our symbolic daisy representing growing and learning with nature. The uniforms are available from Casey’s Schoolwear, 246 Blackfen Road, Sidcup, Kent, DA15 8PW. If you would like to call ahead of visiting, please ring 020 8850 8645. Please click <HERE to visit Casey's website and view our uniform.
The items are in stock and are as follows:
• Compulsory Uniform Items – The Purple Polo Shirt and the Purple Sweatshirt
• Non Compulsory, but Highly Recommended items (Coming Soon) – The Black Back Pack, The Black Woolly Ski Hat and the Yellow Legionnaires Cap
In addition to the compulsory uniform items, please ensure your child attends preschool with suitable named clothing (that can get dirty without any fuss!). In autumn and winter months, we advise no skirts or dresses. Sensible outdoor shoes are required i.e. trainers/canvas plimsoll style/outdoor boots or Wellies for wet weather. CROCS, flip flops or open toe sandals are not permitted as these are not suitable for our outdoor activities and adventure play equipment.
On colder days, please ensure the children have layers of clothing to retain their heat and keep them comfortable. We recommend that you provide your child with spare trousers and socks in case we are caught out by the rain. In hot weather please apply a long lasting suitable factor sun cream. If the weather is very warm, please be aware that we do forest sessions and it may be advisable to apply insect repellent. Longer shorts or leggings are recommended as this will provide some protection against sunburn or scratches.
All registered and have a date set to start with us?
What is next? It is time to consider the clothing to support our uniform and outdoor dungaree and coat suits which the Mini Explorers are required to have at each session they attend.
Recommendations for Outdoor winter wear suitable for all outdoor winter sessions:
- Thermal base layer set - Secondary layer trousers (easy to pull on and off for toileting!) combined with a long sleeved top which can be worn underneath the uniform polo shirt - i.e. Regatta/ Mountain wear/Cotswold Outdoor/Didriksons/Helly Hansen
- Winter Gloves, storm or ski gloves - look for waterproof, insulated, breathable fabric. Mittens are not suitable as children need to be able to retain movement and use of fingers for activities. Gloves will need to be downgraded to suitable thinner ones in the warmer seasons, however waterproof is key for rainy seasons as we will still have outdoor sessions whatever the weather. Fingerless waterproof gloves can be great for warmer months
- Winter hats – we will soon have ski hats available to purchase through Casey's Schoolwear. Again hats will need downgrading for warmer months.
- Socks – outdoor thermal hiking style socks from any good outdoor shop are highly recommended
- Footwear – waterproof outdoor boots are a very good option as opposed to wellies as they allow a firmer grip for running and climbing and are far warmer and more comfortable for feet than most wellies however some wellies with suitable thermal socks will also be fine as long as the wellies have a good grip
Some samples for winter gloves to consider: http://www.tog24.com/index-kids-milatex-gloves-storm.html
Good price value: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/regatta-kids-arlie-waterproof-glove-C1A24384.html?colour=124There are quite a lot of suitable gloves on this site which vary from high end range/price to this good value regatta pair, avoid any that only state windproof or knitted. Gloves with wrist straps are very useful as they allow them to be tightened with room for growth. It can prove difficult when children are still preschool age to get suitable gloves that are not too large so it is best if possible to try them on for size rather than order online!
Another site we use for outdoor clothing is http://nipperskipper.co.uk/
Parents/Carers: Please note, these are just recommendations and ideas from some of our collective experience leading outdoor sessions for children and we cannot guarantee any particular product. There is no pressure to buy any or all of these items, this information is intended only as some useful guidelines to help keep your children warm, dry and comfortable in our sessions.
Mini Explorers Checklist
• Any Required Medication (including allergy medication if needed)
• Packed Lunch (If not having cooked lunches)
• Refillable Drink Bottle
• Named Preschool Uniform And Suitable Clothing
• Outdoor Waterproof Suit
• Spare Trousers, Underwear and Socks
• Warm and Thick Slipper/Walking Socks (for indoor/roundhouse sessions)
• Named Hat/Cap
• Comfortable Trainers/ Outdoor Boots (Note: footwear can get very muddy!)
• Named Wellies or Waterproof Outdoor Boots
Please ensure all of your child’s items are labelled with their name to help the preschool team return items back to you. We request that all items are labelled, including drink bottles, hats, gloves, any clothing, outdoor waterproof suit, all footwear, sun cream etc.
We have got together with the team at mynametags.com to offer you the perfect solution. You can also help us to fundraise by purchasing name tag labels through mynametags.com with the link on our website or by quoting code 83560. We then receive £2 for each set purchased!
mynametags.com provide a quick and easy way to label your child's possessions. Thanks mynametags.com!